Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Where's the gas?

Where the heck is the gasoline? Ever since Ike hit, finding gas has been a challenge. It's usually a matter of luck. On a Friday, I filled up at Sam's and then we took Jeff's car the next day, and it was all gone. Fortunately, all three cars are gassed up and the supply should improve within a week. It's just strange to drive by station after station with no gas.

What else is going on? Well, a lady one street over from us was robbed at gun point last week. Oh yeah, and then our high school principal finds in his in-box, a sketch depicting angles a shooter could take from the front door to maximize carnage. He contacted the authorities to look into it and then the local news got wind of it and misreported the facts. To make a long story short, one of the substitute teachers was a St. Pius grad (with honors) and soldier who had recently returned from Iraq. One of the things that soldiers do first when in combat is to assess the level of threat wherever they are and come up with an exit and/or combat plan. Evidently, this was what he had been doing for Pius in an effort to protect the school, not harm it. It was just a misunderstanding though it does make you wonder what it must be like for a soldier in urban warfare to reassimilate into his community. The school has been planning a SWAT drill with local police and this could have been what the teacher was thinking about.

Ashley has her last softball game today and won't exactly miss the daily workouts going forward. She is however trying to assemble a basketball team for the church rec league. This way she can play ball just for fun with her buddies.

Reagan is also looking forward to basketball. But until the season starts, she is keeping herself busy with school work and spending time with her friends. She and Dad like to watch Avatar together as well.

So what is Julie doing? Well, she's watching her 401k tank. Just kidding. Well, not really. I'm a woman who wears many hats and likes doing so. Volunteering at the high school has kept me busy. I'm still a foster coordinator for Southeastern Greyhound Adoption but this doesn't require much time, though I did a home visit this last weekend. I like to walk the dogs, and myself, and enjoy yard work more than house work, though I haven't done much of either, lately. Maybe I'll go trim bushes after this post. I guess I'm just the oil that keeps this family running smoothly. Jeff of course, is the fuel. He's busy with budget season as well as the changes related to the acquisition noted below. The good news is that he has decided not to bring his work home with him anymore. Weekends and nights are for family and recuperation. I hope he keeps this up.

Well, that's the latest. We hope to hear from ya'll soon!

No comments: